simple is beautiful
Sydney Daily Photo: Things Past Part 2: Platform Tickets
2 ... 2 ...

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Things Past Part 2: Platform Tickets

Platform ticket machines were introduced in the 19th century, to allow non-travellers access to country train platforms for farewelling and greeting people. In 1993, with the introduction of computerised ticketing they became redundant. This machine is in the rail heritage centre at Central Station.

I remember these ticket machines at Central Station. I am sure my family probably bought them when they farewelled me on the train to Perth when I went to a Girl Guide trip there in 1972. It was, and still is, a 3 day journey across the continent. I remember listening to the Olympic Games from Munich broadcast on the radio, and being very excited as Shane Gould, who is the same age as me, won swimming medals. While we were in Perth the tragedy of the massacre in the Olympic village occurred.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL